Our History

Since 1886, we have been recognized as a strong community bank serving the financial needs of the greater Sedgwick County area communities. Frank A. Suellentrop is proud to be our fourth generation chairman and president. Here are some of our major milestones and other events we are just really proud of.

  • February 22, 1886 – Bank of Colwich opened for business – located on the Northwest corner of Wichita and Colorado in Colwich, KS. We battled with and survived the drought of the late 1880’s.
  • September 9, 1891 – Bank of Colwich was re-chartered “The State Bank of Colwich”. We even survived the economic depression of the 1890’s.
  • Early in 1911 – Clemens Suellentrop purchased major interest in the bank. This marked the beginning of the Suellentrop association. The Suellentrop Family has maintained ownership, leadership since that time.
  • March 6th 1933 – During the Depression of the 1930’s, President Roosevelt closed all banks in the nation for several days. During that time, congress passed an Emergency Banking Act that would allow only banks with an adequate financial structure to reopen. The State Bank of Colwich was one of only three in western Sedgwick County to do so. This success was due to the leadership of Clemens Suellentrop.
  • January 8th, 1937 – John A. Suellentrop was elected President of the Bank. We survived World War II of 1941, and saw a large increase in bank membership during this time.
  • October 4th, 1956 – The State Bank of Colwich was admitted to the FDIC.
  • 1961 – Current Colwich facility was built at the Northwest corner of Third and Wichita.
  • 1972 – John F. Suellentrop became President of the bank, and his brother, Clem J. Suellentrop, became Vice President.
  • 1988 – Clem J. Suellentrop became President of the bank.
  • 1991 – Frank A. Suellentrop became President of the bank.
  • 1992 – Central and Tyler location was added.
  • 1997 – Woodlawn and 21st street location was added.
  • 2000 – The present name of Legacy Bank was adopted, and the 21st and Ridge Rd. location was added.
  • 2005 – Ridge Rd. and 37th street location was added.
  • 2012 – Legacy Bank acquired Alliant Bank in Sedgwick, Kansas giving us our sixth branch location.

Back to the top

Internet Banking Login

Forgot passcode?

Latest Updates

Updates coming soon!

old board

On November 10, 1885, shortly after the beginning of the town of Colwich, Charles Hyde, a homesteader, businessman, farmer and area postmaster, met with fellow pioneers F. R. Hazard, J. M. Massey, J. W. Almack and J. M. Cox to organize the Bank of Colwich

original bank photo

A two-story bank building was erected and completed in 1886 on the northwest corner of Wichita and Colorado streets, built from bricks manufactured in Hyde’s Wichita and Colorado Calorific Pressed Brick Company, located on the banks of the Cowskin